Friday, May 22, 2009

For the Environment

I have to admit that I have never been a huge 'save our planet' mind of person.

Sure I recycled if it wasnt too much work. I tried to not waste and to re-use if possible. It was just never a huge part of my life.

Well recently I have been trying to take little steps in improving my commitment to the planet.

Here are some of the things our family is trying to do to better the earth.

1) we recycle everything now. yes that means taking those annoying pieces of plastic off the cardboard boxes and separating them.
2) we re use bags, use cloth grocery bags and even re-usable produce bags (great product by the way).
3) buy in bulk so there is less packaging (this helps on budget too). this is one we are really struggling with as so many foods are over packaged.
4)I've started looking at containers items some in to see if they can be recycled. If they cant I think twice about product.
5)at least once a week I try to use a re-usable coffee cup instead of a to go (I love to-go cups-sorry)
6)drive less if we can.
7)one year old is mostly in cloth diapers now.
8)our new house is a 'green house'. this means it is low energy, high efficiency and is even landscaped to be the best community it can be. the whole water/drainage system is a thing of amazement

I was thinking about watering the plants with collected rain water. but then a big bin of water is a safety hazard for my kids. I'd like to compost but I dont have a veggie garden to use it on and I dont have time to have a veggie garden.
we'd like to drive less but life dictates a bit of driving.

We are trying to find more ways to do more and hopefully will keep adding to the list.

2 comments:

kiaras mom said...

good for you. i have to admit that i suck at the whole environment thing. i drive alot (cuz i got lots of kids that need to go places!) i always forget my bags at home when i am at superstore (but im cheap so i carry my stuff out in my hands or the bottom of the stroller instead of buying the bags) and cloth diapers are kinda gross to me! but good for you!

angela said...

I think all diapers are gross. I am the biggest gagger ever. And mostly I'm too lazy to go to store to buy more diapers when we are getting low