Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Craft Fairs

So I decided to try a couple of craft fairs this season. My first one is next weekend (Nov 8 and 9) and the larger of the two. It all seemed like a great idea at first but now I am having second thoughts. Mostly because I forgot how much work they are.

Since I make the items myself at my home I have a very quick turn around time. Very often I have a couple packaged items of one style but most items are only partially completed until I get an order for that item. This saves me both money and time by not packaging items that dont end up selling.

This system doesnt work for craft fairs. Everything needs to be completed and ready to sell. And you need a lot of everything-about four times what you'd like to sell. People like to see a big variety and more than one of an item. Everyone wants to feel that they 'chose' their item. (I won't get into the entire psychology of purchasing but a customer that wants a black sweater and already knows they want the black sweater will still look at the sweater in red and blue only to buy the black sweater. That way they 'choose' the black sweater.)

So here I am trying to get a great stock of items to fill my tables and offer variety and choice. I am also feeling flustered about table layout and presentation. Just planning the set-up is taking hours.

My second craft fair is two weeks after the first (Nov 22). I dont know if I'm hoping I have lots of stock left from the first one so I dont have to work like a sweatshop worker for two weeks. No I am not hoping that. I would like to sell lots at the first one (of course) and hopefully the boost in spirit of sales will make the extra work those two weeks seem easier.

If you'd like to visit me and see how it all works out (and get great deals) here's the info:

Carney Stars Craft Fair
Arch Bishop Carney HighSchool
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
(behind costco)-good signage on streets already

Sat Nov 8 and Sun Nov 10
9-4 10-3


Riverside Craft Fair
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
Pitt River Road (west of shaugnessy)

Sat Nov 22
10-4

Hope to see you there!

3 comments:

Stacy Kaye said...

Hey I'll have to pop in and see you! That's near our house!

Anonymous said...

Do you need help with your craft sale on the 8 & 9th? I can help set up or something....

Janis said...

Hi! I was at the craft sale and we bought six of your dribble bandanas. We were so thrilled to find them! Lysa is almost eight years old but because of her special needs is often the queen of drool, so it's great to have something stylish she can wear at school that her friends will not only think is not "babyish" but will actually think is cool! I hope you were very successful at the sale - you certainly had one very happy family of satisfied customers!